Transferring data to new iPhone/iPad
Apple has done a great job in trying to make this process as simple as possible. There is more than one method available but we strongly recommend the “restore from an iCloud backup” method, as this takes the least amount of time. This does require an iCloud subscription, which if you don’t have can be purchased for a few dollars a month.
- Make sure you have your Apple ID username and password available. You will not be able to proceed without these.
- Make sure you have an iCloud subscription and that iCloud backups are turned on your device.
- Have both the new and old phones next to each other.
- Do this at a time when you are not actively using your phone (such as in the middle of a text conversation).
- Go into your iCloud backup settings and run a final backup, if one was run recently, this should take no longer than 10 minutes.
- Once the above is complete, turn on your new phone, it should prompt you asking to setup your new phone using your Apple ID.
- Follow the prompts on screen, and when given the option, select restore from iCloud backup.
- Wait for it to finish downloading, this can take 10-60 minutes.
- While this is happening you can move your Sim card from your old phone to your new phone.
- Confirm your photos, contacts and email accounts are all present.
- Shutdown your old phone and keep it for at least a day or two just in case, after that it should be safe to factory reset it.
Tap Settings > General > Reset. Then select Erase all content.
Do not sell or hand over your phone to another without performing a factory reset.
For a more detailed step by step breakdown we recommend using the apple guide here.